Saturday, August 7, 2010

Puffy Eyes and Overweight Luggage


So...after 2 2 hour flights, Megan and I are finally in Mexico! We got in around 8:15 pm to Puebla and were surprised by the promptness and organization of our boss, Cecilia!! When we arrived, she immediately handed us the itinerary for the rest of the week and had 2 suburbans ready and waiting for our departure to the hotel (and a Holiday Inn Express I might add...this school is ballin!) The 6 other new teachers also arrived to Puebla on our flight and we got to know them a bit better too. We are from all over the United States and Canada, so it will be interesting to find out different views and perspectives from everyone.
Yuyo, as always, was more than helpful today...seeing as how last night and this morning were some of the most emo of my whole life. I can't imagine what he was thinking last night when I was sobbing every 10 seconds and saying I didn't know why I was moving at all. Or this morning, when I looked a Hayden and started crying immediately because I won't see my precious puppy for 4 months!!! (I really can't think about that right now, I almost started crying again...haha.) Or when I woke up and my eyes were swollen so much from crying I could hardly open them!! Him surprising me last Sunday in my room while I was falling asleep to The O.C. was one of the best of my life. He truly has been supporting me and behind me in every decision I've made in this process so far, and I love him for it. He has made it a lot easier to move here and to calm my fears about everything from finding my kind of shampoo to being anxious about my new job.
When we got to the airport this morning and Megan and I were sobbing as we said goodbye to our Dads, the Continental lady-who was extremely nice-informed us that due to a Mexican embargo, they would not allow over-weight luggage onto the flight. Here's what we were up against...Brittan: 2 bags-1 bag 16 lbs overweight and the other bag, 10 lbs over...Megan: 1 bag-18 lbs overweight. So, we are flying to a foreign country for a year, we can't pay a fee for overweight bags (and our bags are significantly overweight), and both of our fathers have already left the airport. What is the most appropriate solution to this problem? Immediately start crying because we're teetering on the edge of crazy because we've been crying for the past 2 days straight?? Yep...that's what happened. Offff course, Yuyo to the rescue (I swear he's like Batman!). He said to me "Brittan, don't freak out, go stand back there, and I will take care of this." haha...a Mexican in the Atlanta airport tells an Atlantan to sit back, because he will take care of everything. At that time, I stepped back, composed myself, realized I have the best novio (boyfriend for all you gringos) in the world, and jumped right in to move what I was told to move by the master suitcase planner! Tar also came to the rescue by bringing another suitcase so we could check another bag-which logistically doesn't really make sense, because it was heavier than all of our overweight luggage combined...but anyways, other than that mishap this morning, the rest of the day went rather smoothly. We even got to eat at Schlotzsky's in the Houston airport!
Saying goodbye to everyone was the worst thing ever, and I knew it would be, but I am fine here in Puebla. I knew once we got here, we'd actually love it. Megan and I will be well taken care of and this will be such a great experience for both of us. I really do feel like this is where I am supposed to be right now, and that God is going to use me in the lives of my students. Thanks for all your prayers and support in my journey.
Buenas noches!! <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment